Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Easter, Cemeteries and Forever Families

I owe you all an apology! I ran into problems last week uploading my letter and the computer lab shut down before I could figure out what wasn't working.
Easter baskets from Mom
Anyway, this week has been yet another fulfilling week for me in San Bernardo. This past Saturday, we had a baptism for Junior! It was incredible and he loved the experience so much. I don't know if I have talked much about Junior in my previous emails, but Junior is from Haiti and moved to Chile six moons ago. He speaks Spanish perfectly because he lived in Santo Domingo for 16 years, He is a really good guy.  He is very humble and an all around happy person. He was so prepared as an investigator and really loved what we were teaching him. 

The highlight of his baptism was at the very end when he bore his testimony. He testified of the truth of this Gospel, that Jesus is the Christ, the love he has for the missionaries and the gratitude he had when he was baptized. It was a really “feel good” moment for me to hear him bare his testimony in front of everyone  and to hear his words! The following day I had the opportunity to confirm him a member of the church.
My Zone
Sunday afternoon, we had a zone activity/contacting in the cemetery in San Bernardo. I had little bit of doubt going in, but it was one of the best experiences that I have had in the mission. It was a perfect Easter day and there were lots of people there visiting their loved ones. We walked around talking about the plan of salvation and the resurrection of Jesus Christ.

We met one family, and talked with them for 30 minutes about this plan and how we believe that we will resurrect and can live with our families forever. They told us about their son that they were visiting  whose name was Edson. He died of Leukemia when he was 9 years old in the arms of his dad. As they opened up to us, the spirit really touched them. After they shared their story with us, we testified of this plan and how they will have the chance olive with their son again. It was a very spiritual and uplifting visit for this family. They really wanted us to pass by their home and share more with them.  We were able to refer them to other missionaries and gave them a Book of Mormon. As we left this family, I was filled with happiness for them.

Many people have some sort of faith that they will see their loved ones, but some tend to doubt and fear that they will never see them again.  To me, as members we do not have this fear. I believe we have sorrow and grief when our loved ones pass away, but with the knowledge that families are eternal, we have a lasting hope and happiness in knowing that death is not the end.  We gain this knowledge through prophetic and doctrinal teachings.  I firmly believe that as we study and apply the words of prophets and apostles, we will change mere faith to a knowledgable wisdom that (without doubt) families can live together forever. 

I believe Romans 6:4-5 puts it best: “Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death; that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father. even so we also should walk in newness of life. For if we have been planted together in his likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection”.

We will follow his example! We will resurrect too! We will live again and have the rewards of the sacrifice and resurrection of Jesus Christ. 

I want to testify that Jesus is the Christ. His suffering in Gethsemane an on the cross really happened and that three days later he resurrected. Thanks to Jesus Christ, we need to have hope, not fear! I invite those who doubt to ask God, sincerely, if Jesus is the Redeemer of the world?If he really did win the battle over death? Because I know he did and you can know for yourself, too!  



Working on my soccer skills in Chile

Drinking something.....

No comments:

Post a Comment