Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Mexico City MTC-Week One


This week and a half has been amazing here in Mexico City. I was able to meet up with missionaries in Dallas and Atlanta, so that was very relieving. Mexico City is gorgeous. The MTC (missionary training center) sits in a valley with surrounding mountains that are really cool. It is the rainy season here, so it rains every day, at some point. My companion and I learned that lesson the hard way. Lol. Anyway,the MTC is a very spiritual place. I can’t describe it, but there is just a feeling to it. I thought I would be nervous coming here, but it’s the exact opposite. I am VERY excited. 

I will take you through my typical day here. We wake up at 6:30, get dressed and are at our classroom with our district by 7. We study a certain topic in that hour like Christlike attributes or the atonement, or any other topic. After that we go to breakfast, and get an hour and a half to work out after breakfast. My companion, Elder Hair, is a weight room junkie, but I can still bench more than he can. haha. Anyway, we spend half our time lifting, and the other half playing soccer. After that, we go back to our classroom to study Spanish until we have lunch around noon. Following that, we have additional classes and such. At 3, give a missionary lesson to a hermana (sister) by the name of Renata. We have really progressed our lessons with her over the past week. I have to do most of the talking and interpreting because Elder Hair hasn't learned Spanish before coming here. We had to give her the lesson on The Restoration on our second day. Going into it, our district joked that they were teaching us Spanish the same way you throw a new swimmer into the deep end of the pool. As we gave her our lesson, we were able to answer her questions and give her a surprisingly good lesson. We were merely the instruments in that lesson. After we give our daily lesson to our investigator, we study some more and then go eat dinner. After that, we have additional study time and computerized studying called TALL. It is very helpful. After that we plan and then hit the hay. 

I’ve been thinking about what experience I should share with you guys, and it isn't very spiritual oddly enough. 
So a couple days ago, we were playing soccer on the basketball courts like we typically do each day, but on this particular day things got a little more competitive. Mind you, they don't like it when missionaries get competitive because its supposed to be a “loving environment” here. Anyway, when things started heating up, I stuck it to those guys. I scored 4 goals and had an assist and we completely spanked those self-righteous missionaries that were being punks to some kids in our district. Kevin would be proud of me. haha  As you can tell, I am still trying to phase out of competitive sports haha.



Anyway, I should probably share a spiritual experience this week. Every day I have noticed that my parents had left a note in one of my shirts or shorts. One quote from my mom said, “love their children and they will love you.” In 5 weeks, when I am out in the field, I wont be able to speak very well to the Chileans, but I know that they can see my conviction and love for them even though I can’t speak the language. I know that parents care dearly about their children, and by showing interest and care in them will, in turn, be my way of showing a love for them.
There is no doubt in my mind that Jesus is my Savior. As a representative of Jesus Christ, I am going to tell the whole world that He lives!! 

I will talk with you guys next week,

Elder Hendrix






















No comments:

Post a Comment