Friday, October 14, 2016

We Can Do Hard Things

This week has been a great one! On Thursday, we had the opportunity to go to the temple with one of our investigators, Valeria, who has a baptism date at the end of this month! Thus far, that experience had been the highlight of my mission.  It was such a great experience. We took the metro to downtown and from then ere went to the temple. The temple is so beautiful! We walked around the gardens and Valeria was absolutely amazed by everything there. There truly is a different spirit there. While there, we shared a message on temples and took her into the foyer part of the temple. Such a great experience.

The Santiago Temple

On Saturday, we were able to go to one of Elder Carneys old investigators baptism. It was so great meeting him and talking with the other missionaries. I am truly surrounded by such great people here.

Two days ago, we helped a member paint their house. I admire this sisters faith in letting 19 year old boys paint her living room! hahahaha. The too, turned out looking pretty good. After we finished painting the room (and each other) we had a lesson with a girl who is from Sao Paulo, Brasil. She was SO receptive to our message, so I am looking forward to more visits with her!

Yesterday, Elder Carney was throwing up and had a fever and Elder Gallardo (one of our roommates) was sick too, so Elder Tocigl and I managed both of our sectors today! During the lessons in my sector, I was forced to lead the lessons and I thought I did a pretty good job of it. I’ve been here almost a month now and I’m slowly but surely beginning to see results! However, yesterday, I received some very scary news. lol. I apparently have to give a talk on Sunday…..for 15 minutes….in Spanish. Did I mention that I have only been here nearly a month! Pray for me. lol  Other than that frightening news, my week had been good. We do a good job of keeping ourselves busy each day. Each day goes by so fast!

This week I’ve had a few people ask me the question of, ‘why is life so hard? Why do I have such hard trial and why do bad things happen to me?’  Every time I am asked this, I tell them that I do not know the exact reason for their difficulties. That no matter how hard the challenge may be, we know that God will not give us a challenge that we are unable to bare. Despite how overwhelmingly impossible it may seem to overcome, we need to have faith that we, through the help of our atoning Savior, can and will overcome this challenge or any challenge that we will face in the future. A month or so ago, one of my best friends, Benjamin Blessing shared a scripture with me that is directly applicable to this topic. In Romans 8:18 it says, “For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the Glory which shall be revealed in us.” Though our suffering may bog us down now, when we overcome our trials and continue to overcome them, I firmly believe that every trial will be worth it when we obtain that glory! This much I know to be true.

Chao!


Elder Hendrix

__________________________________________________________

An email from Elder Carney

Hello sister Hendrix!

So here are some pics from these last few weeks, its been a good one! Your son is doing incredible and is a beast! He is really picking up on the language and is really trying hard! Super diligent. Life has been good here, just living it up with Elder Hendrix! He is an incredible missionary! Hope all is well in your fam! Que tengan una semana maravillosa!! 

Elder Carney


No comments:

Post a Comment